08/12/2011

Welcome to Simons Wood Reflected

So it's that time again where I try to reflect on the years photographic project.

So if you missed it, some background. I was attempting to work on a follow up to the previous years project Perambulation, looking at the reality of a place and trying to recreate it through photography. Using a strict set of rules, I tried to capture a specific view throughout the year with an aim that while it might not be possible to create a truly objectively real and complete view of a place it was possible to be more objective than the Perambulation project.
    Week 1 - 20th November 2010
    Rules
     1. As from the previous project, there will be no post production editing of the photographs. With the exception of cropping and resizing for the internet.  
    2. The camera will be set to scenery mode, and the only setting on it I can change will be the white balance to the appropriate weather conditions (either cloudy or sunny)  
    3. I will go out when I should, no matter the weather at the time.  
    4. I will go to the same place and take a photo of the same view  
    5. I will go out weekly, Saturday at 12pm.  
    6. I may change the day (but not the time) if life conspires to make Saturday impossible. The day should be as close to Saturday as I can make it and I should make every effort to do it on a Saturday.  
    7. I will attempt to do this for a year.
Week 5 - 18th December 2010

It's been an interesting year. When I started I thought the lack of creative input would damage the project. It was very strict, almost verging on the scientific, and while that lent focus to what I was trying to achieve, it became routine and required little thought.

Routine tasks are part of life, and while my photography may have suffered from a lack of constant creative input, it did become familiar and comforting in a strange way. I would look forward to my weekly walks with intrigue as to how I would find the pond and take interest in all the smallest changes. 
 
Week 20 - Saturday 2nd April 2011

Practically it was easier to deal with than the Perambulation project, which was good as I have been far more busy this year than last. I didn't cheat once, although I did have to change my day far more often than I would have liked.

As a realistic view of the place? Certainly it is a realistic view of that years worth of Saturdays. Any years worth of Saturdays? Maybe. As a realistic view of that place throughout the year? Probably not. I seemed to get a high proportion of grey days which, I promise you it is not indicative of where I am. The rules I set in place certainly helped to make it a more realistic view of the place it did not create an utterly realistic view. But I went into this knowing the restrictions.

Week 21 - Saturday 9th April 2011

So what to do now with the project?

This is something I will have to think on, but much like the Perambulation project I think film or a book would be the best way to show them. Obviously 53 images are easier to deal with in a gallery setting but I like better the idea of a more fluid image progression either through an AV (which you can already get through Flickr slideshow) or a book. Of course a book is still planned for the Perambulation project so hopefully I will get around to it. I'm not entirely sure who would want to buy it though, but as a record and exercise it's a good idea.

Week 32 - Sunday 26th June 2011

I'm looking potentially at two photographic based projects next year now. One will be short term if it is accepted, but I will talk more on that at a later date if it is to be realised.

As to a year long project, I feel a more creative approach is needed, to explore my photographic skills more if nothing else. So this one will probably reflect Perambulation more than this one. I might also lift all geographical restrictions, but keep a date/time one. All in all, I'm still too deeply thinking about this current one and all the other artwork I have going on to have found time to focus my thoughts, but over Christmas I will be.

Week 50 - Saturday 29th October 2011

Photos: A selection of images from Welcome to Simons Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment