13/06/2012

Welcome to Simons Wood published


Welcome to Simons Wood is a photographic project from 2010-2011. As many of you will know it follows on from the previous years project Perambulation and attempts to explore the idea of creating a reality of a place through photography.

This year long project was subject to a number of blog posts and discussions. The idea of reflecting reality was one I explored first with Perambulation, however that while that project proved interesting I didn't feel it truly managed to find any kind of objective reality.

I continue to debate if a true and objective representation of a place is possible. However Welcome to Simons Wood I feel may have come as close as I can with photography alone. Narrow in focus, it shows the same view of the same place over the space of a year. This was controlled through a series of rules that can be found below.

Rules
 1. As from the previous project, there will be no post production editing of the photographs. With the exception of cropping and resizing for the internet.  
2. The camera will be set to scenery mode, and the only setting on it I can change will be the white balance to the appropriate weather conditions (either cloudy or sunny)  
3. I will go out when I should, no matter the weather at the time.  
4. I will go to the same place and take a photo of the same view  
5. I will go out weekly, Saturday at 12pm.  
6. I may change the day (but not the time) if life conspires to make Saturday impossible. The day should be as close to Saturday as I can make it and I should make every effort to do it on a Saturday.  
7. I will attempt to do this for a year.

After the projects completion I always intended to do something with it beyond a record of the images on Flickr. As I have previously discussed I always fancied doing a photobook.

So here I present Welcome to Simons Wood published!



It is paperback, full colour, 109 pages and 18 x 23cm. It has a large page count to allow each of the 53 images to stand entirely on their own. Plus it also does that flipbook thing so you can watch the year change at speed.

If thats enough to tempt you, you can purchase it here.
Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.




If not click on the image of the cover to learn more about the book.

I still fancy producing one on Perambulation I'm just unsure how I'm ever going to fit 366 images into a book that won't be huge, while doing justice to the imagery.

1 comment: