05/01/2012

Getting into it - Photo project 2012

So it is time again for a new photographic project. The idea that has been brewing for some time is an extension of the looking at reality of a place, however instead of trying to find an objective reality, this time I want to use photography to look at views that would be unfamiliar from a human perspective. I'm not interested in photoshopping my images beyond some gentle cropping as it is the idea of the camera as a true medium, if that makes sense, that interests me more, certainly when a photograph is the end product, rather than a painting.

Perambulation: 28th Oct 2009

One thing I do know about photographing is that an unusual angle is often more interesting than shooting from human head height. The Perambulation project reinforced that in me, early photos of fungi are from above with me standing or only leaning down, later ones might even have me spread eagled on the leaves and I think we can agree which are best.

Perambulation: 6th Oct 2010

I like the idea of manipulating reality using camera angles. Of going more extreme than that to produce images that might not be immediately known what or where they are. Predictably my life is all over the place already and it's only just 2012 so for now I either have to be flexible about when and how often I get these images or I have to be flexible about where.

Perambulation: 29th Jan 2010
So,
Option 1: a full 365, time fixed like Welcome to Simons Wood, of where ever I am that day and time. This would be looking more of a subjective reality of my life rather than a particular place. It is interesting, but why would I want to complicate it with the challenge of finding unusual angles.

Option 2: a project like Perambulation, 6 days a week not time fixed. I'd probably stick to nature as my backdrop but might find a few other ones here and there depending on what I find interesting that day. It has the potential to be interesting but feels like it might be a little unfocused and I know work will get in the way massively.

Option 3: probably a 52 although I am tempted to define it as twice a week rather than once. Not date or time sensitive but would focus on one place or one type of place. Certainly won't be objective in any way.

Perambulation : 1st June 2010

For those of you with long memories the seed for this idea has lasted over a year and was known once as Secret Project 3. (Secret Projects 1 and 4 were revealed to be my Postcassettes and my foray into Printmaking. Both now on the website. Secret project 2 ran into technical difficulties.)

I'm going to go with Option 3 although Option 1 might become it's own project one day. Mainly because after the restrictions of Welcome to Simons Wood I feel the need for a relaxed project with the potential for large creative output. I also wanted a project that would challenge me as well as not interfere to much with work. 

Perambulation: 26th Aug 2010
 
Photos: some examples from Perambulation, plus below, the first image of the project.  Find it on Flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/noblueskies/sets/72157628733339427/

Photo Project 2012: 5th Jan 2012

 

No comments:

Post a Comment