27/11/2010

Further Perambulating Thoughts (Which might be becoming circular)

About halfway in to my perambulation project I was still considering ways to show this project. Back then I was unsure how it would turn out and struggling to think of unique and innovative ways to show the results. While I like many of the photos a lot there are just as many that I am indifferent to or I don't think are really very good. There are also not in everyone's eyes Fine Art, In fact I would say that in my mind without the context of my postcard work and reasons for undertaking the project in the first place they would not be Fine Art. However this could be said of many things and is in fact a completely different, huge and highly contentious issue.



Back when I started I didn't think I wanted to show the entire project on gallery walls. There are a lot of images to show! I can't even think about the price in framing them all (and I would have to show them all), let alone find a space that could show all 300 odd. Maybe I could just show a few of the better ones but that then impinges on the truth I have created of these works and project and that upsets me.



Obviously I needed some way to be able to show them all. I've considered film or AV and I may indeed do this but with both I control the speed at which people view them. So with uniform speed images I only ever glance at are lingered on more than I would and images I would want to examine more closely are sped over. I could make the decision which images you should look at for longer and since it's my truth of this area I have that right, I just don't want it. Again it's a manipulation of the truth of the place and that truth is distorted enough.



However why not make a book? The viewer chooses how long to look (granted still messing with the truth of the place but at least it's not me this time), there is something nice in owning it on paper, I can write and contextualise the works. There is one stumbling block, keeping costs down. To keep costs down I will have to make the printed images small, maybe even putting four on a page. For some of the images this wouldn't bother me but there are some that I really feel need more size and space. 



Maybe the above arguments are rubbish and I won't be able to avoid imposing my own will on what photos should be viewed differently from the rest. I will also be removing the images from further afield taken because I was on holiday, Strictly looking back on them now I have to say they are not part of this project. Maybe this is also the wrong decision and I should include all images, make a point of the distortions in the “truth” and go on from there.



Frankly until I start designing it I have no idea how it will turn out. I get the feeling that strict date ordering is going to be difficult as a mix of portrait landscape is always hard. Staying within the 80 page limit is also going to be tricky, even with the removals, 4 on a page will use up 75 pages. And I will need a page/half a page for text. I have to say I am still unsure about this, even just by writing this entry I keep finding holes in my decisions, however I'm at the point where none of these questions can be answered by postulating here. Only by starting the work and seeing how it goes will I get more the information I need.



This entries pictures are 7 of MY favourite landscape orientation images from the past year.


2 comments:

  1. DVD can be used as a slideshow that lets the end user decide how long each photo is displayed.

    For instillations you have a nice option and a mean option. big button in the middle of the room to progress top the next photo or .... a treadmill!

    Hook up the speed of the treadmill to the speed of the slideshow >:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of a DVD, alas an interactive one is beyond my capabilities.

    ReplyDelete