23/03/2010

How I learnt to stop worrying about the state of my writing and love the spring

It has been a while now for me since the onset of Spring and ever since then I have had the elements of a blog run around in my head. Getting those phrases and concepts onto 'paper' has proved difficult however, Only now am I even approaching getting back into the swing of writing which will be evidenced by this and the previous post that need writing now or never at all. I was also heavily curtailed by the elephant, it is hard to write about the onset of Spring when I have barely stepped far beyond the confines of my own road due to pressures to get him finished.

But now I am feeling more verbose and decent length, less constrained walks have become the norm once more so now I am able to write.

Spring has arrived! I noticed recently that the news spent one day arguing about when Spring arrives. The Met office officially starts Spring on the 1st of March, yet others say the official start is the 20th, the vernal equinox. Personally this is all bunkum, Spring starts when you first smell it and this year for me that was the 4th March.


There
had been hints of imminent Spring for a few weeks prior to that though. Snowdrops in full bloom, crocuses starting to bloom and the beginnings of daffs. Not to mention the resurgence of the insect eaters and tree creepers adding to the bird song. Most recently the geese have returned to the local pond. But for me the smell is the most potent sign that Spring is here and the Spring smell is unmistakable, one day you go outside and it hits you, subtle but unignorable.


Now Spring is blossoming in full force and since noticing the change in the air many things have happened and only in the last week or so. Only a few days after the 4th I walked outside to find the previously weak and somewhat watery sun was noticeably brighter, stronger and it was far easier to tell where it was in the sky, even when cloudy, by it's rays striking you. Most recently over the last week I have gone out wearing fewer layers and to begin with regretting the decision to put on my coat. I was caught out twice by the sunshine and the warmth and yet even when it was cloudy and I was expecting a little chill to the air I was still far to warm. So more often than not I have relegated the coat in favour of my University fleece, far easier to take off and tie around you waist if you find you don't need it.

I have even been getting definite hints of summer in the fragrance of the air and heat to the breeze not to mention some fully bloomed and beautiful crocuses on the road side. Last week was quite surprising all told, on Monday I suddenly had to deal with bees again, Tuesday I spotted a butterfly and had a few run ins with some drowsy and silly bumblebees and Wednesday I noticed that the trees are starting to bud and reveal potential leaves.

You know I did so much better with my previous post. I can only hope that editing will clean up this ramble. All i really wanted to do was talk about the Spring and throw in my own opinions of the beginning of Spring. However I will leave with a final note. While I have been enjoying exploring the Spring outside I have also been working on the images taken all autumn and winter. Picking up those images that deserve to be seen but didn't quite make it on the day they were taken. While I have yet to decide if the autumn photos should go up now or later (Autumn being technically unfinished until later in the year) I have sorted out the Winter photos and given them their own set on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/noblueskies/sets/72157623657152834/

Any way that is all. Pictures in this entry are from post 4th March. Enjoy Spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment