09/08/2009

Portsmouth 9th May 2009

NB (9th August 2009) Impressive fail with the blogging recently. Not because I haven't been writing but in fact because the idea of trying to condense and rewrite my verbose ramblings has left me cold.

It's been quite some time since I went to Portsmouth. Initially I wasn't going to blog as it wasn't an intended trip. However I realised after reviewing the photos that I had been on occasion in that special frame of mind that is perpetual when on an premeditated trip. Seems it has become quite natural to drop in and out of this frame of mind when seeing potential for photos, so much so that apparently I don't notice I have done so.

So a quick bit of background. I went to Portsmouth with my parents to see my sister and celebrate my fathers birthday. After a little time there we went down to the waterfront to go to a pub they all like and have a bit of a walk. Now the last time I was in Portsmouth was a year previously or there about for my sisters graduation ceremony. While they were in the ceremony (which I wasn't able to attend due to space restrictions) I had the opportunity to explore Portsmouth and I walked a bloody long way around most of central Portsmouth However there was one bit of beach I wasn't able to access, although I did walk along the sea wall above it. This time the beach was open to all and we took a walk along the beach and up along the sea wall.

While on the beach I got some photographs of things I rarely have the opportunity to see including large ferries coming in to port and a gunship of some description. Remembering the ocean liner paintings of Malcolm Morley I found this all very inspirational. The other aspect to this trip was the addition of a ready source of people which I could utilise. Granted I would rather get people in natural poses but I did have the ability to use the already natural antics of my family and use them to my own advantage with the common cry of “stay there please”. I say common cry because often enough I need not say it, for my father has already done so. Usually I actively dissuade my friends and family from joining me as I know how frustrating it can be for both parties. But hey I'll take what I can get, it's just a matter of priorities something I may touch on in future blogs.


I also got a good photo of a ice cream van.

No comments:

Post a Comment